Today while browsing through You Tube, I came across the old Surf advertisement. Who can forget Lalita Ji ? certainly not those who grew up in the 80s ! I have often posted about India in the 80s and yet I never seem to tire of it. I guess as we grow older our mind tends to wander down memory lane and the times that were..
Here are a few things that I miss about that era:
- The simplicity of the TV ads like Lalita Ji's Surf, Humara Bajaj, Chal Meri Luna and the likes.
- Doordarshan's spinning logo and the annoying music that went with it :P
- News by Salma Sultan.
- The leather covered radios (my grandpa had one and BBC news on the radio was a daily ritual..and lets not forget the Binaca Geetmala).
- Every week had one purpose - to watch the next episode of Mahabharat.
- Campa Cola, Signal toothpaste and Ajanta tooth brush.
- Singer sewing machines.
- Lakhani Chappal and Bata. (Bata was the rich man's brand back then).
- The hand held decorated fans or "pankhis" as we called them for when the power was out. (and yes the Khaitan fans too).
- The kerosene lamps and lanterns.
- Dalda ghee and Postman oil.
- Cantharidine hair oil.
- Playing Gilli Danda, Satolia, Chupa Chupi, Kancha (marbles) and Carrom with cousins.
- Spinning lattus (tops).
Anyone has anything more to add to the list ? :)